CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Latest Happenings

Hi, everyone! I have finally managed to write something. I hope 2017 will bring many great things for all of us!
-TM, 2nd February 2017

Saturday, February 26, 2011

6 Weeks Gone, 6 More to Come!!! (And some info on teaching practice)

   Can you believe that I am now half way through teaching practice?

   That's right. The period for my teaching practice is 12 weeks, and yesterday marked the end of the sixth week. 6 down, 6 more to go! Hurray!!!!

   Yesterday, my friends and I went to our IPG for tutorial. The tutorial was organised by the practicum unit, and during the session we were supposed to ask questions, fill in some forms etc. We also met our supervisors. During the session, I was surprised to know that some of my friends have not even had a single observation by their supervisor! I guess the particular lecturers/s are very busy.

   As for my own group of friends who are being supervised by the same lecturer, Madam J., we are nearly at the end of our journey! Most of us have had our 3rd observation, and are waiting for our final one.

   Let me explain give some background info on the teaching practice that I'm going through. I am not sure if the same condition applies for other programmes, but this is basically what goes for ours (B. Ed Tesl - Twinning Programme between IPG KPM and IIUM). We only have 2 stages of practicum as compared to the other programmes which are totally under the IPG (which by the way stands for Insitut Pendidikan Guru).

  1. School Based Experience (SBE) or also known as Rancangan Orientasi Sekolah (ROS)-  No teaching or anything, just observations and preparing reports. You can read my half-hearted writing about it in my earlier entries.
  2. Teaching Practice (12 weeks) - What I'm going through now. It's the only time that we're given to practice teaching. At one go. The other programmes at IPG have about 3 shots at it I think, throghout their time there. We only get one shot, and have to do it in 12 weeks.
   So that's it. Now for teaching practice, we are observed both by our supervising lecturer and guiding teacher. They're both sort of mentors who will help us during teaching practice. My partner and I share 1 lecturer, together with 6 other people, and we also share the same guiding teacher at SK Pegoh- one for English and another for PS. The observations are as follows:

   Major Subject (English):
   Number of observations by supervising lecturer: 3
   Number of observations by guiding teacher: 4
   Number of observations by both lecturer & teacher: 1 (Final observation, and the one that determines your grade for the whole teaching practice period)

   Minor Subject (Art)

   Number of observations by supervising lecturer: 2
   Number of observations by guiding teacher: 3
   Number of observations by both lecturer & teacher: 1 (Final observation, and the one that determines your grade for the whole teaching practice period)


   So altogether we each individually have to go through 14 observation in 12 weeks. Just imagine!

   Now, in the case of Madam J's mentees, we have it a little more difficult. Our lecturer is pregnant, and she is due in March. It's only a few days before March arrives, right? Tada! I'm having my final observation next week. That's right, it's during our 7th week. Some of our friends who have other lecturers have not even been observed, while most have only been observed for 1 or 2 times. As for my partner and I, our grade will be determined next week. We have to get our portfolio ready, as well as be prepared to teach really well.

  And you know what? After 6 weeks, I sometimes feel like I still don't know what I'm doing. I still need more practice. I still can't control the class. And I have to prepare for my final observation. In fact I have to prepare for two observations next week. My guiding teacher is coming in for the final time on her own, and then it'll be her and Mdm J. together. The Finale.

   I am under great pressure. I have to prepare for these things as well as make preparations for my kids because they are having their first UPP the week after (8-10 March). I'm preparing the exam questions, and their English subject is wholly under my responsibility for 3 months.

   I'm scared. I'm under pressure. Yet here I am typing away on this blog. Duh.

   If I have any readers at all, please, please pray for me. Pray that I'll do well. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly welcome comments and feedback! Whether you want to write a ten-foot long essay on why you love my post (ahhem) or simply say 'Hello!', feel free to do so! :)