CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Latest Happenings

Hi, everyone! I have finally managed to write something. I hope 2017 will bring many great things for all of us!
-TM, 2nd February 2017

Saturday, January 15, 2011

List of Moral Values for Lesson Planning

   These few days have been a blur... because things are happening so fast!

   I have lots to blog about, but because I'm short of time, I'll just post this list of moral values. It's useful for teachers and trainees alike in planning lessons as in every lesson plan, you must always include at least one moral value to accompany your lesson content! This is from the ministry, there's a short introduction to it, but I don't have it now- will post when I find it!

   Please understand that I am not plagiarising or anything! Hehe. Nor am I posting this just for the mere sake of posting. I just think this would be good for future teachers to know.

MORAL VALUES IN THE ISSC

Background
   A Moral Education Committee (Jawatankuasa Pendidikan Akhlak) was formed in 1976 comprising prominent members respecting various religions in the country. This committee deliberated on moral values inherent in each religion and finally identified 16 universal moral values supported by all. In the ISSC, these 16 umbrella values have been expanded to 80 values.


1. KINDHEARTEDNESS
    1.1  Compassionate
    1.2  Considerate
    1.3  Generous
    1.4  Understanding
    1.5  Forgiving

2. SELF-RELIANCE
    2.1  Responsible
    2.2  Independent
    2.3  Industrious
    2.4  Self-confident

3. HUMILITY
    3.1  Polite
    3.2  Admitting one's mistake
    3.3  Friendly

4. MUTUAL RESPECT
    4.1  Respect and loyal towards parents
    4.2  Respect for the elderly, teachers, peers, leaders and neighbours
    4.3  Respect for king and country
    4.4  Respect for basic rights
    4.5  Respect for beliefs and cultures of various races
    4.6  Respect for individual rights
    4.7  Adherence to the rule of law
    4.8  Adherence to time (punctual)
    4.9  Value wisdom, experience and deeds
    4.10  Value manual labour
    4.11  Value self-respect

5. LOVE
    5.1  Love for life
    5.2  Love for the environment
    5.3  Love for the country
    5.4  Love for peace and harmony

6. JUSTICE
    6.1  Just
    6.2  Fair

7. FREEDOM
    7.1  Freedom within the law
    7.2  Freedom within the democratic system

8. COURAGE
    8.1  Brave
    8.2  Stand up to the truth
    8.3  Resolute
    8.4  Responsible/Accountable

9. CLEANLINESS OF BODY AND MIND
    9.1  Physical cleanliness
    9.2  Environmental cleanliness
    9.3  Well-mannered in words and actions
    9.4  Healthy and constructive thoughts

10. HONESTY/INTEGRITY
    10.1  Trustworthy
    10.2  Speaking the truth
    10.3  Sincere

11. DILIGENCE
    11.1  Courageous
    11.2  Pro-active/Resourceful
    11.3  Dedicated to work
    11.4  Determined
    11.5  Hardworking

12. COOPERATION
    12.1  Spirit of brotherhood
    12.2  Collective responsibility
    12.3  Helping one another
    12.4  Tolerance
    12.5  Common good
    12.6  Unity

13. MODERATION
    13.1  Moderation in reconciling personal needs with... (this part is missing, will update)
    13.2  Not excessive in words and actions

14. GRATITUDE
    14.1  Thankful
    14.2  Grateful
    14.3  Appreciative

15. RATIONALITY
    15.1  Able to form judgements
    15.2  Able to reason
    15.3  Open minded and able to think logically

16. PUBLIC SPIRITEDNESS
    16.1  Subscribing to consensus
    16.2  Subscribing to the spirit of neighbourliness
    16.3  Sensitive to social issues in the community

[Translated from the Malay version by:
Haji Abdul Aziz Sultan
Zainurin Abdul Rahman
Tunku Badariah Tunku Ahmad]

   I hope this is useful and helps you especially if you're a teacher trainee! When I wrote lesson plans as part of my assignments, I was also scratching my head because I didn't have a list of moral values (which is an essential element in all lesson plans- you can look at the example I've provided), until one of my lecturers gave us a list when we were in IIUM. Thank you, Dr. Ismail! Unfortunately I lost it... bla bla bla, long story, but since I couldn't find it on the internet either when I looked, here it is! Hope it helps you.

   All the best to my TESL friends who are heading for practicum... you are all CEMERLANG candidates! Insya-Allah :)
You are all going to be excellent teachers!!!
p.s. Special thanks to my friend Ikha for posting the list of FB! Thanks a million :P

43 comments:

  1. KNP TAK POSTING KE MANA2 SKOLA MNENGAH? TESL SUSAH DPT KERJA KE? HMMM...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mengikut pengetahuan saya, kalau program TESL di maktab selalunya dikhususkan untuk sekolah rendah. Kalau program TESL yang sepenuhnya bawah universiti baru dihantar ke sekolah menengah.

    Insya-Allah TESL tak susah dapat kerja. Guru BI memang diperlukan, dan kalau tak mahu jadi guru, boleh gunakan kemahiran dalam BI untuk kerja lain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, saya faham maksud saudari. Saya sebenarnya baru habis praktikum dan pengajian, jadi sedang tunggu result posting. Bukan kerana tak dapat kerja. Insya-Allah bulan 8 ni tau, kalau tak ada apa2 masalah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this list. Scratching my head about moral values to put in my lesson plan >< Now my problem is that the lecturer requires us to put a moral lesson in EACH component in the lesson plan like in set induction and etc. *faints* But anyways, thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Princess Dory: You're welcome! Each lecturer is different, I guess. My lecturer said if we were to put 5 MVs in one lesson, we'd never get around to making sure they were delivered. So I mostly only put one or two MVs in 1 lesson. Do you mean that if there are 5 components in 1 lesson, you have to have 5 different MVs? *gasps

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I was surfing for the list of moral values that we need to include in our lesson planning but to no avail. Then I chance upon your blog. Thank you so much. Do you think I can have a copy of the complete list? Thank you once again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Josephine. You're welcome! I think this is pretty much the whole list, unless you're looking for the list of CCTS & Study skills?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot!!! this list + CCTS list helped me a lot in completing my record book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks. This article helps me in using the right words for my course work
    ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I'm glad it helped. Remember to include the people who created this list in the first place in your du'a, ok!

      Delete
  10. thank you so much for the list of moral values. i really appreciate a refresher like this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thx for the post, it helps me a lot in doing my lesson plan..but since it is my 1st time doing LP, i would like to know do i need to put the main MV or the sub ones in my LP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's best to ask your lecturer. However, from my own experience, you should only include the moral values that you intend to insert in your lesson. If you've listed 2 moral values in your LP, you have to make sure both are mentioned/applied in your lesson. Don't put in too many, you might not have the time or even remember to apply them. I usually put at most 2 or 3 MVs, never more. Most of the time I only put 1, to make things easy. I hope this helps.

      Delete
  12. huhu thank you for this... finally i can easily make my l.p hehw thank u vwry much!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was googling for the terms relating to moral values since I was lost for words to include in my practical report and came across ur blog. hehe~ it has been a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're welcome! I hope you've been doing fine- I'm sorry I haven't dropped by to say hello for so long :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sumaiyyah

    Terima kasih ata daftar ini. Saya betul dengan penuh hait harap bahwa generasi manusia yang akan datang juga akan menangkap nya. Supaya dunia ini akan tetap baik. Kita betul betul harus mencoba untuk mengajar yang ini. Saya sennang sekali Sumayyah memang mencoba mendidik mahaswi dengan baik.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insya-Allah. We must all try our best to share what good knowledge that we have with the world in the hope that it will become a better place for everyone :)

      Delete
  16. The basic building blocks upon which the values stand upon are the ones that build up a child's overall character. A nice and informative read here for every parent.
    http://asknrj.com/values-that-matter-the-most/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. Hi, it was nice of you to leave a comment, thanks!

      Delete
  18. thanks a lot it has helped me in answering value based questions

    ReplyDelete
  19. hello. first of all i would like to thank you for the info you've shared. However I've looked around the web and yet to find any reliable source to support the list of values you've posted. I even went through the moe, bpk websites to find the Bahasa Melayu version of this list of moral values. And I found none. Because I have to justify the source of the list of moral values that I wrote in my SOW and Lesson Plan (For assignment and presentation purpose), I need a reliable reference. Not saying your blog is not reliable, in fact I am grateful and amazed for the abundance of knowledge you've provided here. Such a kind and dedicated person! :) but you are yet to write an English intellectual book, so I can't really hang on to your blog much :) I'm really hoping that you could provide link to the education website that could support this list of moral values. I noted that your lecturer translated this list from English to Bahasa Melayu, so I am hoping you could give me the link for the Bahasa Melayu version since you stated that this list is from the ministry. Thank you so much and forgive me if I am being fussy. I really need the reference :) Student-teacher from IPG Kampus Tun Abdul Razak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sara.I am truly sorry I took so long to post this reply.I hven't been able to check my blog for a long time-too busy with school and also had problems with the internet.Anyway,Im sorry but I can't help you with the source.My lecturer provided us with the list but it is long gone and lost.That's why I posted it here,where it's safr and won't get lost.Even if I do have the original list,I don't remember there being any reference provided.I really am sorry dear!

      Delete
  20. Salam alaykum dear. Thanks a lot for the list. I have been scratching my head as well ;) However, I would like to know, do you have a list with the age groups? Now that we have a rough list, we need to also know which morals are most suitable for which age group.

    Really looking forward to you reply, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waalaikumussalam. You're welcome and thanks for stopping by. I'm not sure I understand what you mean though- do you mean that there's supposed to be certain sets of MVs for different age groups? I've never heard of that during my studies so I'm not sure I can help you there. If you do find out, do share!

      Delete
  21. THAnk You for posting it
    QUITE USEUL
    bt do try it to make one word or two ......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yukhta. I'm glad you find it useful. I'm afraid what's up there were all copied down from a list my lecturer gave me. I think if you were to cut them short to one or two words they won't be meaningful :)

      Delete
  22. Hello! Thank you so so so much for this list of moral values! So I've been wondering, have you found the missing part in 13.1 already? Please let me know. Thanks! Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Radiocorner! I'm glad you find the list useful. I'm afraid I no longer have a hardcopy of the list since this came from my uni days (not too long ago, to be honest, but the thing is I've thrown a lot of stuff away). Sorry...

      Delete
  23. Thank you for sharing the good values that should be included in the lesson plan.Its really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for this post!!! As a teacher for special needs students, this is very helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Assalamualaikum terima kasih banyak2 ini sanggat membantu saya

    ReplyDelete

I truly welcome comments and feedback! Whether you want to write a ten-foot long essay on why you love my post (ahhem) or simply say 'Hello!', feel free to do so! :)